The PS4 mic is a special piece of equipment for an outstanding gaming experience. It lets you interact with your team members using the chat while enjoying your favorite games. Also, its inbuilt microphone and other essential features allow you to talk to your fellow mates. However, sometimes due to an error, you may face your PS4 mic not working suddenly without any warning.
In addition, you might not be able to talk to your teammates such that you may hear their voices while they may not hear yours. This mainly happens when your mic boom is loose, your audio settings are wrong, you have outdated firmware or broken hardware, or NAT issues.
Considering all this, we shall discuss these causes in detail along with some hacks that may benefit you to get rid of such errors in no time. These fixes are pretty simple to follow and won’t consume much of your time. So, continue reading to learn about the PS4 mic not working well.
Why is my mic not working on PS4?
Multiple factors may stop your PS4 mic from functioning correctly. All these factors may occur suddenly, creating some hurdles in the functioning of your equipment. Let’s ride through a few of these causes for betting understanding that may enable you to prevent them in the future.
- Broken components: Sometimes, the parts on your PS4 mic may break off suddenly, especially its hardware like plugs, ports, cables, and built-in audio chips. These items are pretty sensitive and therefore may get damaged by even dust or dirt. Therefore, examine your mic carefully for signs of damage and loose parts whenever you face any issue with it.
- Altered audio settings: This is a pretty common issue. Your audio settings may change, especially if you’re using a monaural mic or a headset. You need to check mic level, party chat options, and mic gain in such a case.
- Not updated PS4 firmware: An outdated PS4 firmware may cause your PS4 to lose its network capabilities. This, in return, causes trouble in the voice chat options of your mic. This primarily happens when you’re playing modded games or using a modded console.
- NAT’s issue: NAT issue occurs when the PS4 security rules limit its community features. It may show your friends’ inability to hear back when you can hear them.
How to fix the PS4 mic not working?
Let’s now dig into some of the recommended steps that may help you fix your PS4 microphone not working issue in no time. These fixes are pretty easy to go, and the best thing about them is you don’t need to contact customer care support for any help when following them.
1. Try resetting your controller and PS4
This hack goes really well for most of the problems concerning your PS4. So, try restarting your console to check if the problem goes off or not. You may reset your controller since it’s directly connected to the console. However, reset your controller first and then restart your PS4 to see visible results. Moreover, you may see more efficient results after resuming your console thrice or fourth.
Another way to use this hack is to shut down your console overnight and test the mic, which has been pretty effective for many users. Lastly, you may also mute and then unmute your mic and check if the mics then work for you.
2. Try checking the NAT
This hack works primarily when you can hear your fellow players, but they cannot hear your voice in a party chat. The problem is mainly with the network’s security and the NAT type on your console. To fix this issue, follow the steps given below:
- Head to your router settings.
- Next, finish off the port forwarding procedure to change the NAT type settings according to your convenience: type 2, the moderate type.
3. Try checking your mic status on your console
For efficient work of your mic, your PS4 should recognize it without any error. Sometimes, you may hear the voices of the other players. Still, they may be some error in detecting the mic by your console. In such a case, follow the steps given below:
- Head to the Settings.
- Next, select Sound and Screen.
- Lastly, go to the Audio Output Settings and check the status of your mic. Suppose on the Chat Audio you see the Gray option is present. In that case, it indicates your console is not recognizing the hardware.
Simply change the cable or double-check the cord to solve such an issue.
4. Try updating your firmware
Major PS4 problems may occur when your firmware is not up to date. In such a case, follow the steps given below to update your firmware in no time:
- Head to the
- Next, select System Software Update.
- Now, click on Update Now.
- If you see any available updates, simply click on Next and then
- Wait for a few minutes until the procedure completes.
- Lastly, restart your console, your mic, and the controller and see for some fixation of your mic.
5. Try checking your Party Chat
Enabling or prioritizing your Party Chat may also fix this issue of the mic not working on your console. Below are the steps to fix this issue without any hurdles.
- Firstly, head to the
- Next, select Party Settings and click on Chat Audio.
- Lastly, choose Prioritize Game Chat or Prioritize Party.
6. Try checking the Audio Settings on your PS4
Altered Audio Settings are another pretty common cause. It mainly occurs when you’re using your mic for the very first time. To change the Audio Settings, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, head to
- Next, select Devices and then Audio Devices.
- Now, click on Input Device and select Headset Connected to Controller.
- Now, click on Output Device and select Headset Connected to Controller.
- Further, scroll down to Volume Control and raise the level.
- Also, select Output to Headphones and hit X on All Audio.
These steps are specifically for headsets connected to the DualShock 4 controller. However, if you’re using wireless or USB devices, you may see other options. Choose them accordingly.
7. Try changing the mic Settings
To change your Mic Settings, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, head to the Audio Devices from the Setting menu.
- Next, click on the option Adjust Microphone Level Screen in the select Volume.
- Now, adjust the Microphone level accordingly and save the changes you’ve made.
8. Try updating your sound card driver
You may update your sound driver either manually or automatically. To do it manually, head to the website of your mic manufacturer and select the most accurate and latest sound driver for your device. Then install it on your computer.
However, to do it automatically, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, download and install the Driver Easy.
- Next, run it and click on Scan Now. In this way, your computer will detect any problem.
- Now, select the Update button next to the driver’s name. This will download and install the correct driver. You may even click on Update All to automatically download and install the latest sound card driver for your system.
- Lastly, restart your system and test your mic to see any positive results.
9. Try checking your Mic boom
First, you need to see if the problem lies within your mic. To do so, see whether your mic boom is loose or not. Also, try using your PS4 headset with a mic on some other device to see if it’s working correctly there or not. If your headset or microphone is not working well, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, connect your PS4 headset with the mic to the controller.
- Next, unplug the microphone halfway out from your controller and plug it in again. Try these steps twice or thrice until you hear two beeping sounds.
- Now, test your mic to see if it’s working well currently or not.
10. Try checking your headset
Checking your headset’s ports and cable is really important to see if the problem lies there. Make sure you have correctly plugged all the wires into the correct ports. Also, they’re all clean, with no debris or dust inside them.
Frequently Asked Question
How do I activate voice chat on PS4?
Activating your voice chat is pretty simple. Just follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, press the PS button present on your controller.
- You’ll then see a menu appear at the bottom. Scroll right to the Sound icon.
- Lastly, move the bar to the left. It will turn up the Voice Chat. You may transfer it to the right as well.
This will turn up the Game Chat Audio.
Why is my PS4 mic not working, but I can hear?
There may be a network connection error that can cause others not to hear you. However, suppose your mic is detected on the Adjunct Microphone level screen. In that case, the headset and mic may both work efficiently with the PS4 console.
How to fix the mic not working on PS4?
If your mic is not working on your console, then try out the hacks below:
- Check your headset.
- Check your mic boom.
- Update your sound driver.
- Check your PS4’s mic Settings.
- Check your PC’s audio settings.
- Reset your controller and PS4.
- Check your party chat.
- Update your firmware.
- Check your Mic status on Ps4.
- Check NAT
PS4 mic, a piece of incredible equipment, enables you to indulge with your teammates using the chat while enjoying your chosen games. However, sometimes, your PS4 mic may not work suddenly due to an error.
Therefore, this article has discussed some of the most common causes behind your mic not working on PS4. Also, we have shared a few hacks that may enable you to get rid of this hurdle. So, please read this guide to learn all about the PS4 mic and its problems.