The PlayStation 4 is a major upgrade from its precedent, PlayStation 3. But most gamers are used to the traditional PS3 controllers and are not yet ready to move on. Now gamers have questioned whether they can use a PS3 controller or PS3 Bluetooth remote on their new PlayStation 4. If there is a way and they do that, are they missing out on new features? These and a lot more of the questions of fellow gamers will all be answered in this single article.
This article will answer what features will you miss by sticking to PS3 items and help you choose whether you should make an upgrade with the controller or not.
Can you use a PS3 controller on a PS4?
The official answer is no. Sony does not allow its users to do so but there are unofficial methods to use a PS3 controller on your new PS4. But there are some downsides to using these methods. Certain games lag as the old technology is less efficient. Also, we see PlayStation 4 has DualShock 4 controller that offers new features like a touchpad, Share and Options buttons. The headphone jack in the PS4 controller is loved by all gamers. The overall design is improved and the range of the controller has also improved drastically.
If you are still certain to use the PS3 controller, you should know it is possible to connect it. We will guide you on how to do it below but before that, we need to answer more questions to the best of your knowledge.
Can you use PS3 Bluetooth remotes on a PS4?
If you used your PS3 remote to surf through apps like Netflix and want to do it on PS4, you will have to buy a new remote for this purpose as Sony hasn’t welcomed any tricks for it. Although this feature might not be very appreciated by most and people can don’t mind if they don’t get a remote.
If you do like a remote very much, you will need to buy these individual remotes online. You can find some cheap options which will serve the purpose without taking a large sum out of your pocket. You just have to find the right deal for you.
What do you need to connect a PS3 Controller with PS4?
As mentioned earlier, Sony does not allow us to connect PlayStation 3’s controller with the new PlayStation 4, so we need to use third-party adapters to connect it and some additional software to regulate the performance.
The adapter we need is known as Special Controller Converter and it extends your controller’s boundaries to many other gaming consoles. You need to install software programs for the efficient performance of the controller.
Some competent options of controller converter adapters include Gam3Gear Brook Super Converter and Cronusmax Plus Cross Cover Gaming Adapter. These two are trusted options in the market with their own pros and cons.
Gam3Gear Brook Super Converter is an economical option with good features but you need to install programs for its work. While Cronusmax Plus Cross Cover Gaming Adapter works effortlessly and works for different gaming platforms. But these features come at a price tag slightly more than the PS4 controller’s. Gamers who shift between platforms should definitely go for the latter option.
Which controllers can be used efficiently on a PS4?
By the above discussion, you must be familiar that PS3 Bluetooth remotes and PS3 controllers are not compatible with the PS4 Console, although we have provided a solution for it. Fortunately, other controllers are available in the markets that are as efficient as the PS4 controllers and compatible with the PS4 Console.
You might be relieved to know that you can buy controllers equivalent to PS4 controllers that will work no matter what. Third-party DualShock4 controllers by brands such as Razer, Hori, and SCUF work on a PS4 console. You can know about the details by reading the table below.
How to connect PS3 controller to PS4 console?
You need to follow four steps which are well described below. Still, if you have any questions, let us know in the comments below.
Step 1: Unpair your PS4 Controller
- Before connecting the PS3 controller, unpair the PS4 controller by connecting the PS4 controller to the CronusMax Plus adapter via the mini-USB cable that comes along with the adapter.
- Now you have to plug the CronusMax Plus in the USB port of the PS4 Console.
- After plugging, turn on the PS4.
- Now you have to scroll up from the dashboard (where your games are), and you will see a briefcase icon that represents settings on the top right corner. Select the briefcase icon.
- Now select Devices> Bluetooth devices> DualShock4 controller. Select ‘Forget Devices’ on the right from the list.
- After selecting Ok, the PS4 controller disconnects from the CronusMax Plus.
Step 2: Set up Cronusmax Plus
- To set up Cronusmax Plus, plug it into your PC via the USB cable in the 2.0 USB port.
- Now, download the Cronus Pro software and install it so that you can use the adapter.
- Open the software after installing and select Tools> Options > Device.
- After selecting the ‘Device’ tab from the options, click on the ‘automatic’ box under ‘Output Protocol’ and under ‘speed up settings’, select inframe out and 1ms response. Select disable on the ‘rumbled over Bluetooth’ and click ‘close’.
- Select the Cmax tab from the ‘options’ and select ‘enable PS4 partial cross-over support’.
- Finally, exit and unplug the Cronusmax plus adapter from the PC.
Step 3: Pair PS3 controller on PS4 via “wired”
- Start by plugging the Cronusmax plus adapter into your PS4 and connect the adapter to the PS3 controller via the USB cable.
- To confirm, check the first LED light, which must light upon the PS3 controller. Also, check the adapter screen for the ‘0’.
You’re all good to play games as your PS3 controller is fully functional with the PS4 now.
Step 4: Wireless Connection
You can also connect the PS3 controller wirelessly by following the below steps.
- Firstly, prepare a Bluetooth adapter.
- Next, you have to plug in the Cronusmax plus adapter into your PS4 Console.
- Now, plug the Bluetooth adapter into your Cronusmax plus adapter.
- Just press the PS button present on your controller to proceed that will light up all the four LED lights on the controller.
- You can confirm the pairing when you see the first LED light flash on the controller and ‘0’ on the adapter screen.
If you follow all these steps carefully enough, your PS3 controller will work great with PS4 wirelessly.
- Can you use PlayStation camera on pc
- How to get PS4 out of safe mode
- How to prevent PS4 from overheating
- Can you charge a PS4 controller from an outlet
- How to use safe mode on PS5
- How to transfer data from PS4 to PS5
- How to fix PS4 has no sound
Although, officially, PS3 controllers are not compatible with PS4 Console; however, you can still play games on the PS4 Console by connecting the PS3 controller through an adapter available on Amazon and following the above steps. In addition, you can connect the PS3 controller wirelessly through a Bluetooth adapter. Still, popular recommendation is to shift to a newer controller and enjoy new features effortlessly.