Have you noticed sudden interruption while playing your favorite games on Ps4? These interruptions commonly include sudden undesired movement on the screen, commonly known as controller drift or analog stick drift. It’s super annoying and is mainly due to rough or over-use. However, this problem can easily fix it.
Considering all this, we shall walk through some of the most common causes behind the Ps4 controller drift along with its fixes to help you get rid of it in no time. We may also discuss how to reset your controller for more efficient use. So, continue reading to learn all about Ps4 controller drift in detail.
What is PS4 controller drift?
As you know, there are two analog sticks, right and left, for each controller of the PS4. If there’s any trouble with any analog stick, you may see sudden uncontrolled movements on the screen. Moreover, you may also notice the circling of the character for no reason. This is a Ps4 controller or Analog-stick drift. It’s super distracting and annoying but can easily be fixed at home.
Why does my PS4 controller drift?
Various reasons may cause sudden controller drifting. Out of which, the most important ones include dirt and dust within the analog stick. Also, excessive or overuse may damage the electrical component within. So, let’s discuss them in detail.
Suppose you use your analog stick aggressively while playing games. Then there are high chances that it may be worn out quickly. This may happen due to the damages to the potentiometer that controls all the electrical components within it.
Excessive dirt or dust may also accumulate within the analog stick, especially in the gap around the stick. This may, in return, cause the internal components to lose their functionality. Moreover, moisture may cause rusting within, which may destroy your analog stick as time passes.
Rough use or an accidental fall may also damage the internal components of your analog stick. This may result in breaking the minor yet super important electrical parts of your analog stick, resulting in drifting on your screen.
How to fix PS4 controller drift?
There are certain hacks to fix unwanted controller drifting. These include cleaning up the controller, cleaning the internal components, and fixing the broken items. However, to do so, you need to be a bit skillful. Otherwise, it would further ruin your controller. Moreover, you may simply take your controller to the Sony repair shop to avoid any risk. Also, resetting your controller may help you too.
Let’s now dig in these fixes to help you have a great idea about them to help you get rid of drifting in no time.
Cleaning up the Ps4 controller
Cleaning up the PS4 controller may help you remove all the dirt and dust around the analog stick. In addition, it will help you avoid drifting in no time as there would be no interruption in its functionality. To do so, you may need a dry cloth, preferably of microfiber material, cotton swab, and a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water.
- Use the dry cloth and cotton swab dipped in the water and isopropyl alcohol mixture to clean your controller up.
- Next, if the dirt is deep within the controller, you may even use pressure to dislocate it.
The best way to maintain your controller is to clean it up after every month to avoid any accumulation of dust or dirt.
Deep cleaning of the Analog-stick from within
If cleaning up the controller didn’t help you get rid of the drifting, then the next step is to do deep cleaning from within. To do so, you may need a prying tool, cotton swabs, T-8 or T-9 safety Torx, and a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol. Now, follow the steps below to deep clean the analog stick.
- The first step is to open up the controller using the prying tool, T-8 or T-9 safety Torx.
- Next, use a cotton swab dipped in a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol to clean the internal components. Make sure you don’t overuse the mixture; otherwise, the moisture may ruin the electrical equipment.
- Now, close up the controller using the prying tool and T-8 or T-9 safety Torx after cleaning it up.
Also, keep in mind that using the pressurized air to clear the dirt may ruin the internal parts. Also, don’t disconnect any parts from the controller except for the motherboard’s battery as it may disrupt the components within.
Replace the potentiometer or analog stick
If cleaning up doesn’t work out for you, the next step is to see if there’s any problem with the potentiometer or sensor of the analog stick. If so, then you may simply change the potentiometer or analog stick itself.
- To do so, you may need a solder, soldering tool, new analog stick assembly, de-soldering tool, T-7 Torx, T-8 or T-9 Torx, and prying tool. Now, follow the below-given steps to change it up.
- The first step is to open up the controller using the prying too and T-8 or T-9 Torx tool.
- Next, open up the circuit box using the T-7 Torx tool.
- Now, using the de-soldering tool, remove the old analog stick assembly.
- Further, use the soldering tool to insert the new analog stick assembly and solder.
- Now close it up and run a test to check whether it’s functioning well or not without any drift.
Getting your PS4 controller fixed by the Sony Repair shop
If, after trying all the hacks mentioned above, you couldn’t get rid of the drifting, or if you think you’re not proficient enough to work on the controller. Then the best thing to do is take your Ps4 controller to the nearby Sony repair shop and get it fixed by the skillful technicians there. It will surely save your time and energy.
Resetting your PS4 controller
Resetting your PS4 controller may also help you get rid of undesired drifting. To do so, follow the steps below for efficient gameplay in no time.
- Turn on your PS4 and head to the Settings.
- Next, go to the option Devices.
- Now, click on Bluetooth devices.
- Then, select the inactive controller available.
- Further, click go to the Options and select Forget devices.
- Now, turn off your PS4 and connect the controller using a USB cable.
You may now turn on your PS4 and press the PlayStation button on your controller. This will enable you to log in and check whether your controller is working fine or not.
- Why Does My PS4 Controller Keep Disconnecting From PC?
- How to Fix PS4 Turning On and Off by Itself?
- Why Is My PS4 Controller Light Is Red?
- What Does PS4 Controller Orange Light Mean?
- Why Is My PS4 Controller Lagging?
Ps4 drifting is a pretty common problem for gamers. This usually occurs due to rough or overuse of the analog stick. The most common causes include dirt, dust, and sensor problem.
Considering this, we have discussed the cause of the Ps4 controller drifting along with some fixes to help you get rid of it in no time.