Beyond any doubt, the red color is mesmerizing, but you know something is not good if your machine has started to show red color when it comes to technology. PS4 controller red light is a pretty common problem, and PS4 console gamers frequently search for ways to fix it. This guide focuses on the possible reasons for your PS4 controller red light and various methods to correct it.
What does the PS4 controller red light signal?
If your PS4 controller light has turned red, it indicates two things; either your PS4 controller hardware is broken or if the controller’s function is fine, then the red light on the PS4 controller could be due to a faulty USB port charger. Normally, PS4 controllers show different colors like orange, blue, white, etc.; when it gives off the red light, one could comprehend that something is wrong.
PS4 controller light bar colors meaning
PS4 controller light bar indicates the order of connection of controllers; for instance, the bar light would turn blue for Player 1, Red for the 2nd player, the 3rd one’s controller would blink Green and the 4th one to join the game would have Pink light assigned.
However, you might have noticed that your PS4 controller starts flashing red light while playing certain games, for example, GTA IV. You need not worry if it happens because it usually signals that the character of the game is wanted by the Police or has health declining.
How to fix the PS4 controller red light?
If your PS4 controller keeps flashing the red light on and off or is stuck on the red light that seems problematic to you, then we believe you may want to try out different methods to fix it. Please make sure that you figure out and analyze the possible causes of the problem to not attempt every method.
DS4 cable replacement
As mentioned earlier, PS4 controller red light could be due to a faulty USB port or cables, so better start with replacing your DS4 controller cable with a new one or any android functioning cable available at your place.
Now that you have the USB cable plug it into your ps4 controller. Note the light, and if it changes to blue or orange color, it indicates that the cables were faulty.
Resetting your PS4 console
Any time your PS4 starts acting unusual, try resetting your console. The trick most of the time helps over and above your thinking. Follow the steps to reset your PS4;
- First, turn off your PS4 by pressing and holding the power button.
- Next, unplug the power cable from the back of the unit.
- Please wait for a few minutes and plug it in again.
- Make sure to plug your controller and charging cable into the controller and PS4.
- Proceed with pressing the PS button, which turns on your controller.
PS4 resetting should solve the problem, but you may need to look at other ways if the hardware is broken.
Resetting your PS4 controller
A corrupted software of your PS4 controller might be the reason why it is flashing red light and disconnecting from the PC. By resetting your controller, you may be able to fix the issue. The following steps will help you reset the controller;
- First, locate the reset button by turning over your controller.
- Use a small tool to push the button inside the hole.
- After holding the button for 5 seconds, connect your controller back into the PS4 and see if it starts functioning normally.
PS4 safe mode
If your PS4 controller red light does not seem to get fixed by following other methods, try to start your PS4 in safe mode. This trick usually works when there is a firmware problem in your PS4 or its controller. Starting your PS4 in safe mode is a simple method;
- First, turn your PS4 off.
- Now you need to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Here you will hear two beeps.
- Proceed with connecting your DS4 with a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Replace the ribbon cable
A defective ribbon cable may be responsible for the red light on your PS4 controller. It signals broken hardware. If your controller’s ribbon cable stops working, it refuses to charge, and the battery keeps draining. There are two ways to fix the ribbon cable issue;
- At times, cleaning the cable with alcohol would help.
- If cleaning does not help you, go for replacing the cable with a new one.
Check your USB port
Many times, it is the USB port that causes the trouble. If it is faulty, your PS4 controller will not charge, and the low battery will cause it to blink red light.
How to change PS4 controller color?
As mentioned earlier, different colors of the PS4 controller indicate the order of connection of the players. However, you can change the color of your PS4 controller by following a few steps;
- Firstly you have to create four different profiles on your PS4.
- Then log in to one user and switch to another user without logging out of this profile, so you have the desired color.
- You can keep on logging into other user profiles until you have your wanted color.
Undoubtedly, it is okay to be concerned about your PS4 controller, especially if it has started flashing red light, which is, most of the time, not a good signal. This article has tried our best to lessen your bafflement about the red light on your controller. We hope this simple and straightforward guide will prove helpful.