Since the launch of PS4, it has undergone numerous amazing updates and has managed to stay one of its user’s favorite consoles. Despite multiple problems reported by the gamers, the craze for PS4 has neither declined nor ever will! A lot of gamers have reported that their PS4 console turns on or off by itself, and they are unable to fix it.
In this article, you will get to know what can be a possible cause that your PS4 keeps turning on or off by itself and how smoothly you can overcome the problem by following this simple guide.
Why does my PS4 turn on by itself?
A lot of gamers have reported that their PS4 turns on by itself or start making loud fan noise, which leaves them wondering what could be the reason behind it. On the other hand, some users have also complained about PS4 shutting down abruptly, leaving the users puzzled.
A number of things can cause PS4 to turn on by itself, one of which can be a power connection. You need to ensure that you have a good enough power supply. Outdated software also poses the risk of a malfunctioning device. Not to forget, you might have a faulty hard drive that is responsible for turning on your PS4 by itself. Check your APU (accelerated processing unit), which could be another major reason. PS4 can also turn on by itself if auto-updates are on and your PS4 is on sleep mode.
How to fix PS4 turn on by itself?
A gamer would not appreciate it when he sits down to play his favorite game on the PS4 console and finds out that the device keeps turning on or off by itself. If you are among those facing the PS4 turning on by itself and it makes you worrisome, then stop right here and let’s jump to the steps following which you can easily fix the problem;
Good power connection
- Make sure that your main power supply is working well. If your PS4 keeps turning on by itself, then start with turning off your PS4 by pressing the power button for 7 seconds. When the console is completely off, it beeps twice, and you should be able to hear it.
- From your electrical socket, unplug the cable of your PD4 console.
- Meanwhile, check all the ports of your console to see if they contain dust or any other material that is unusual. Also, replacement of old cables with the new ones might help if power connection is the issue. Keep looking at the power buttons and observe if anything unusual happens.
Check your hard drive
- To check whether your hard drive is faulty or not, you need to turn off your PS4 console by following the method mentioned above. Two beeps indicate that your ps4 is turned off.
- Secondly, remove the power cable from the electrical socket and also disconnect any other connected cables to the console.
- You have to slide the hard drive bay cover away from the system to remove it; if you wish to replace it with a new one, you are free to go for that as well. However, a new hard drive requires a new software installation.
Turning off Auto-updates
- If you have set your PS4 on ‘turn on’ for auto-updates, then it is supposed to turn on any time by itself to install the latest updates. However, you can prevent this by modifying your PS4 settings.
- All you need to do is to go to your Settings on PS4 and choose ‘System.’ Look for ‘Automatic downloads’ and uncheck the box. This way, your PS4 will not allow automatic updates.
PS4 software updates
- Your PS4 may be turning on by itself owing to outdated software. To check for updates, make sure that you have a good internet connection.
- Select the ‘Settings’ icon on your home screen, and using the X button choose the ‘System software update’; any latest update should appear here.
Beyond any doubt, you would not want your saved data to get deleted. Here’s another way you can easily fix the issue which does not mess up with your data. However, rebuilding your database is time-consuming.
- Make sure that your PS4 is turned off.
- To bring your PS4 in safe mode, press and hold the power button of the PS4. Here you should hear two beeps that signal the safe mode.
- With the help of a USB cable, connect your PS4 controller with the console.
- Using the X button, select ‘Rebuild database.’
- When you are done with rebuilding the database, your PS4 automatically turns on.
Resetting your PS4
One more way you can try if your PS4 turns on by itself is to reset your PS4. However, you have to be a little cautious here since resetting your PS4 may erase your saved data if you go for the ‘initialize PS4’ option. It is better to choose the ‘Restart PS4’ option, or maybe you can backup your data beforehand to avoid the hassle.
- Resetting your PS4 requires that your PS4 is turned off, and you have to unplug all the cables from the console and the main power supply.
- You can confirm whether your console is turned off or not by pressing the power button a few times.
- Plug the cable after a few minutes. Press and hold the power button for a while until your console is turned on.
- As usual, connect your PS4 controller, and using the X button, two options will appear on your screen, either initialize your console or restart it; the choice is all yours!
What to do if nothing helps?
If the measures mentioned earlier fail to give you the desired outcome, fear not; we still have a few more methods for you that may solve the issue.
- Each time you are about to turn off your PS4, make sure that you turn it off properly. Be careful and avoid leaving your PS4 in rest mode.
- The reason could lie in your PS4 controller’s buttons; make sure that no button is pressed on its own.
- In some cases, the rubber foot present under the eject button of PS4 gets heated up and presses the button. Ensure that you “remove the rubber foot” if that is the case.
How to fix the PS4 turning on and off problem?
As mentioned earlier, there could be multiple reasons why your PS4 abruptly turns on or off by itself. A lot of complaints have also been reported regarding the PS4 turning on and then suddenly off on its own. If you face the same issue, you have to take care of a few things, and you will be good to go!
The first thing that should come to your mind is the power supply. A bad power supply may cause your console to turn on and then right back off abruptly. If you turn on your PS4 and do not get the right amount of electrical energy, it will surely turn off. You will need to check if there are faulty solder joints or chips on the motherboard.
Not a long-term solution but you can fix the problem by using any of these methods given below;
- Try hitting your console against your knee or the floor, but be careful and do not hit so hard.
- You can also set up your PS4 on its side and try turning it on.
- Why does my PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from pc
- Why is my PS4 controller light is red
- How to fix PS4 lan cable not connected
- What Does PS4 Controller Orange Light Mean
- How to fix PS4 controller lag
Abrupt turning on or off of the PS4 is not something new. Gamers have been encountering the problem for a while now. Unofficial methods for fixing the problem may be tedious and time-consuming, but something would definitely work for you. We hope this guide will help you solve the issue.