One of the most common problems in PS4 controllers manifest is the input lag. The issue leaves you puzzled and wondering why your controller is lagging and how you can fix this controller delay. It is understandable to become annoyed and frustrated when your controller does not transfer the necessary information to your console while playing online.
A perfect controller that can transfer essential instructions to your console while playing is of utmost importance. Beyond any doubt, if your DS4 controller starts lagging, it is pretty destructive to your enjoyment. However, in this guide, we will share some measures which can help you fix the lag on the PS4.
What is the PS4 controller input lag?
Before heading onto how you can fix the input lag, you must understand what does the input lag mean. In simple means, input lag is when you input any instruction on your DS4 controller, and it fails to register or registers after a delay to your console. So basically, the controller does not correspond with the input and malfunctions.
If you face PS4 controller input lag, you would definitely want to fix this since you cannot afford anything impeding your game.
Causes for PS4 controller lag
There are several causes for your lagging PS4 controller, so let’s have a look at these briefly;
- You will need to check if your PS4 controller’s firmware contains corrupted files or not, which might be a reason why your controller takes an eternity to respond.
- If the controller’s hard drive is not functioning correctly, it could be one of the causes.
- Poor internet connection.
- If you have got a large volume of accumulated cache on your console or controller, it could be another reason for the issue.
- Lousy ventilation of the console.
- The disordered database contributes to the issue as well.
How to fix lag on PS4?
Here we will discuss a few methods that may help you solve the lag issues of your PS4 controller. However, it is of prime importance to note that it is not always necessarily your controller at fault; make sure that you check the game you are playing is not causing the trouble. If it is not the game, perhaps the problem lies in the controller.
If these solutions fail to help you, you would need to ask Sony for help because your DS4 controller has some critical issue that cannot be fixed. So, let’s begin with the solutions;
1. Check PS4 controller charging
Most of the problems arise due to low charging because as the controller loses the charge, the connectivity also declines. It may result in input lagging problems; therefore, please ensure that you have a charged PS4 controller.
2. Check other wireless devices
Often you face controller input lag issues due to the presence of wireless devices around. Your DS4 controller uses Bluetooth to connect to the console. Try moving these wireless devices away from the setup, so they do not interrupt the controller or console.
3. Check with a wired connection
All you have to do is connect your PS4 controller via a USB cable to your PS4. If this solves the issue, continue playing with this connection for a while and then switch back to a wireless one. However, this method does not always work for everyone.
4. Restart your PS4 console
Restarting the PS4 console helps to solve many issues. To restart, follow these steps;
- Ensure that you turn off your console.
- Now you have to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until you hear two beeps.
- Disconnect your console from the primary power source.
- Wait for a while until you plug your console back into the main power.
- Now you have to connect your DS4 controller via USB cable to the system.
5. Reset your PS4 controller
If you want to opt for resetting your DS4 controller, it will change your settings that have been made to-date to default. Resetting the PS4 controller is a very simple method. All you need to do is to follow these steps;
- First of all, turn off your console and unplug the controller.
- Locate the reset button on your controller. It is present near the L2 shoulder at the back.
- It would be best to have a small tool like a paperclip to push the button into the hole.
- Push and hold the button for a while and release.
- Now, please turn on your console and plug your controller back into it.
6. Free some storage
A large room occupied on your console’s hard drive may lead to lagging issues and other problems related to your console or controller’s slowed-down activity. Try clearing some space on the drive by following this easy guide;
- On your console, go to Settings and open Memory.
- A window shows up stating the current status of your PS4 console’s memory.
- You can select anything that you want to get rid of.
- Choose Options and then Delete that particular file.
7. Database rebuild
At times, it is your PS4 console responsible for the controller’s input lag or delay. However, you can fix the lagging console by rebuilding the PS4’s database. To begin with the process;
- Firstly, ensure that you turn off your PS4 completely. Then bring it in safe mode.
- To enable the safe mode, you have to press and hold the power button for 7-10 seconds until you hear two beeps. The second beep indicates enabling of the safe mode.
- You need to have a USB cable and connect your controller with the console because you cannot connect your controller through Bluetooth in safe mode.
- Select ‘Rebuild Database’ using the X button on your DS4 controller.
It is important to note that rebuilding the database on your PS4 is time-consuming, owing to the amount of data present in your hard drive.
8. Check for the update
Downloading and installing the latest update in your PS4 to upgrade the console may reduce the lagging and delaying issues of your controller. To have the recent updates on your PS4;
- You need to have a USB flash drive with 400 MB of free space.
- Create a folder ‘PS4’ in the drive and make another folder ‘UPDATE’ within the same folder.
- Now you need to download the latest updates in this folder.
- You have to unplug your console before inserting the USB flash drive.
- Now, press and hold the power button for a while so that your console comes in Safe Mode.
- Select ‘System Software Update,’ a window that shows up with instructions; make sure you follow these correctly.
How to fix PS4 controller android lag?
You must know that you can easily connect your PS4 console to any android device via Bluetooth, one of the most admired features of Android devices. However, it is not uncommon to note that your controller is lacking the reflex action being connected with an android device, but this issue is easy to fix;
- You need to have an application called ‘Bluetooth Auto Connect’ on your android device.
- Note that the app is not available on the play store, so do not forget to enable ‘Unknown Sources’ on your device.
- Once you have the app, please open it and scroll down.
- Open ‘Advanced Options’, scroll down to the end of the page, and select ‘Connect Now.’
This should fix your PS4 controller android lag issues.
- Why is my PS4 fan so loud
- Why does my PS4 turn on by itself
- Why PS4 keeps disconnecting from WIFI
- How to fix PS4 Lan cable not connected
Although PS4 has not reported any significant issues with DS4 controllers, input lag issues sometimes frustrate the gamers since they hamper their enjoyment. In this guide, we have tried to cover simple and straightforward troubleshooting methods so you can fix the controller lag on your PS4 and continue to have fun!